I am spending 6 days in Barcelona in early December. I was to have gone over New Years last year but had to cancel. I have not heard anyone say anything bad about Barcelona so I jumped at the chance to go this year.
I found an insane deal on my preferred airline out of Charlotte, NC. The only problem with that plan is that I don’t live in Charlotte. It’s about a 4 hour drive from my home city. I was able to find a decently priced ticket to Charlotte so I wouldn’t have to drive and pay for parking. I’m also about to bump up a status level with the airline, so the miles will help me get there before the end of the year.
It will mean a total of 5 transfers to end up in Barcelona. It is a good thing I don’t mind flying. I also kind of dig airports.
Here’s some info on the trip:
- CHA to ATL to CLT to ATL to AMS to BCN on Delta. The longest leg is about 8 hours but I will spend about 24 hours total in the air or in airports.
- Books: Collusion: Secret Meetings, Dirty Money, and How the Russians Helped Donald Trump Win by Luke Harding. (If it’s as bad as I think, it may move me to ask for political asylum somewhere on this trip). Christmas: A Biography by Judith Flanders. (If it’s as bad as I think, I’m not sure what my options are, you can’t hide from Xmas in America).
- Music: Trying To Live My Life Without You by Otis Clay, Silver / Lead by Wire, will get special attention along with the usual mix on my iPod.
- TV: None, I’m going to read more
- Guide Book: Lonely Planet Barcelona
- My Mother’s Biggest Fear: as always, my safety. (Awwa, thanks Mom!)
- My Biggest Fear: Communication. I know no Catalan. I took Spanish at university quite a while ago. I just got back from France. This will not go well. When I booked this trip it was going to be political turmoil, but it looks like they have calmed down a bit.
- Plans: Sagrada Familia, museums, markets, a day trip to Andorra, try to fill out my euro coin collection.